As winter continues to hold tightly to us here in New York, I thought I would take the opportunity to share with you a few of the things that make me smile right now. Because we can always use things to make us smile when there is snow on the ground one day before spring starts, right?
- Tervis tumbler. I have had my Sigg bottle for a while, but it doesn’t fit in my cup holder in my car (not even the larger retractable one). So after looking at a few ideas, I decided to check out Tervis tumblers. I got a super pretty one that is flowery and has a bright fuschia lid. And it makes me smile. And I drank 72 oz of water yesterday like it was nobody’s business.
- My new corkboard. I finally decided to take charge of my upstairs desk area, which is normally used mostly for personal stuff – bills, planning, and the like – but I had no space for things I wanted to hang up. So I took charge, moved a few of the pictures from the area, and got out the drill. The corkboard cost me $13 at Target, went up in about 5 minutes, and makes me so very, very happy. I also hung up a black dry erase board on the side wall to use mostly as a magnetic space, and hung up my new super cute owl checklist pad from Target. We just won’t mention the extra hole now hidden behind the dry erase board. Silly corner wall construction.
- Physician’s Formula translucent pressed powder. I like to use a light finishing powder when I do my makeup, to appear a little less oily (which makes no sense since my skin is so dry lately yet I still ‘look’ oily), but usually it ends up looking caked on and settles into my lovely stretched out pores and wrinkles. So I tried this powder last week and I’m definitely excited. It looks SO much better on my face than anything else I’ve tried (except Bare Minerals Mineral Veil, but they don’t sell that at CVS and the PF costs less to try out). I’m very satisfied and very happy with it so far.
- My wool Toms. I have wanted a pair of Toms for a while now. Comfy, easy to slip on, and what a great cause (buy a pair, give a pair means that for every pair sold, Toms gives away a pair of shoes to children in need). But at the cost of $50, I just couldn’t pull the trigger. Enter Zulily to the rescue! I ordered myself a wool pair in black/gray and a canvas pair in a navy algebraic print (yes, I’m a nerd). I haven’t worn the canvas ones yet because, well, it’s 28 degrees and snowing here still. But this weekend, while running errands, I threw on my wool ones when it finally hit 40 degrees and I was very pleasantly surprised. No pinching, rubbing, hurting. Just pure comfort. They have a much sturdier sole than I expected, and I will be stalking for a pair of crochet ones for this summer for sure.
- My Sorel boots. They seriously make snowy days good days for me. When I woke up this morning, the last day of winter, to 7+ inches of snow on the ground, after my initial sigh of disappointment, I remembered that it meant I had a reason to wear my Sorel boots one more time, and then I smiled. I seriously absolutely LOVE these boots. I got them at about 70% off on Zulily one day, taking a total gamble that they would fit. I figured if they didn’t, I could always sell them on Craigslist or Ebay or something since I can’t return them. But they arrived, they fit perfectly, and I have never loved a pair of shoes more. Ok, that’s a lie, I once had a pair of Kenneth Cole kitten heels that were as soft as butter and absolutely gorgeous, but those were in my fancy city-living days. In my new reality, my Sorels are comfortable, waterproof, and above all, super fun with their fur collar and suede laces. I highly recommend them, and I am certain that I will have them for the next 10 years!
What are you loving right now? What brings a smile to your face when the weather seems determined to bring us all down? Share your favorite things!